Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma-chameleon

A short 1 mile walk yielded a yellow-bellied sapsucker, belted kingfisher, killdeer, brown pelican, ring-billed gull, pied-billed grebe and a few others.
A pelican began to wobble and collapsed in the road. He placed himself in the middle of the road on a bridge, which is placed directly after a sharp turn. Thus, I had only one option. I placed myself in the middle of the road. The driver of a speeding vehicle had stopped in front of us, but not before flashing a look of disgust. I look at it as I saved the bird and the person's car. (Note: The car was given ample time to stop. Warning: Don't try that at home.) After the traffic from the green light had ceased, the pelican picked himself up and we both got off the road. My conscience spoke and I was off. Not being the owner of a working cellular, I trotted back to the car. Feeling the effects from the "Arctic Blast", my lungs began to acquire that burning sensation. I drove across the street to my former employer and used their phone. The Yellow Pages number for the bird rehabilitation and wildlife rescue were no longer in service. In the parking lot I was lucky to spot a sheriff and told him what had occurred. Fortunately, he went to check it out and my conscience was clean. I did my part and saved a few cars from hitting a pelican and prolonged the birds' life, even if only in the slightest. For my efforts I was rewarded with quite the spectacle. I stepped foot on the beach and to my surprise the ocean was placid on this windy, frigid day. The calm ocean offered immediate views of dolphins on the move.
The highlight of the day was the Northern Gannet feeding frenzy taking place. A minimum of 30 were dive bombing....everywhere. It was a beautiful sight.
For my good deed I was rewarded with 2 birds to my '14 county birding list and one was a lifer! Score.

Comments